|1 lb||mild or hot pork sausages, casings removed||500 g|
|1||onion, coarsely chopped||1|
|1 c||chicken stock||250 mL|
|1 c||water||250 mL|
|1 c||long grain rice||250 mL|
|1 can (28 oz)||tomatoes||796 mL|
|1/4 tsp||turmeric||1.25 mL|
|1/4 tsp||red pepper flakes||1.25 mL|
|1 c||fresh or frozen peas||250 mL|
|1 c||white beans||250 mL|
|1/2 lb||uncooked shelled shrimp (optional)||250 mL|
1. In a large non-stick skillet or Dutch oven, cook sausages, crumbling with a spoon, over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Add onion and cook until softened.
3. Stir in stock, water, rice, tomatoes, turmeric, red pepper flakes and bay leaf; bring to a boil, stirring to break tomatoes slightly.
4. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
5. Stir in peas, beans and shrimp (if using); cover and cook 3-4 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
6. Discard bay leaf and serve.
Canned beans in water or sauce are already cooked and therefore only need to be reheated.